With the ever-expanding reach of photos and video, photographers of the future will need to adapt quickly to new technologies and new ways of communicating.
Photography studio courses develop your expertise in a range of analogue and digital technologies and intelligently consider photography’s place in the world. You will often work on self-directed projects dealing with ideas and issues that matter to you.
What courses to take if you want to do a photography major
- To get into the photography major, you must take 221.157 Lens in first year. View the Lens video here.
- There is one first year photography elective, 221.100 Photography as an agent of change. You might find this interesting but you are not required to take it.
- If you are interested in moving image, the electives 289.105 Introduction to Digital Video Production or 289.101 Introduction to Web and Mobile Media might appeal to you.
- You might even want to use your electives to build up a Minor in a business, health or expressive arts field.
- There are many options. Check out our Yellow Book for details.
What courses to take if you want to add some photography to another major
- If you’re interested in photographing people: take either 221.157 Lens or 221.100 Photography as an Agent of Change because they are the ways you can get into 221.320 Photography and the Body (third year). These courses also give design and fine arts students access to 221.456 Photography and the Archive.
- If you’re interested in studio lighting, you can take 221.220 Photography and the Studio once you have passed any 75 credits at 100 level (i.e. take it in your second or third year).
- If you’re interested in digital image manipulation, you can take 221.221 The Digital Darkroom I once you have passed any 75 credits at 100 level (i.e. take it in your second or third year). That leads to an advanced digital photography course, 221.321 The Digital Darkroom II.
- If you’re interested in darkroom techniques, you can take 221.222 Photography and the Darkroom once you have passed any 75 credits at 100 level (eg take it in your second or third year).
- Four years full-time: photography is a major in the BDes(Hons)
- Available in Wellington
- The top-ranked design school in New Zealand and Australia by Red Dot global design awards
- Ranked 2nd in the entire Asia-Pacific region by Red Dot
- The only art and design school in New Zealand and Australia to be recognised by the US National Association of Schools of Art and Design
- Click here for fees
- Click here for scholarships
Massey Photography graduates include
Photography at the College of Creative Arts has an impressive alumni of graduates whose practice spans the range of careers from fine art to commercial, and from photojournalism to fashion photography